The Ohio Ecological Food and Farm Association announces an immediate opening for a Certification Specialist. The successful applicant will join a team of bright and passionate individuals who are committed to upholding the integrity of the organic label and furthering the sustainable agriculture movement. Please consider applying if you have experience with food and agriculture, a strong work ethic, and value a collaborative approach.
During this round of hiring OEFFA will give strong preference to individuals who have experience with livestock production and/or food processing.
The Certification Specialist collaborates with co-workers and clients by conducting extensive review of applications submitted by organic producers and handlers. The Certification Specialist guides applicants through the certification process as they strive to meet federal organic standards. S/he may participate in policy development, educational programming, and other special projects as they arise. This is a full-time position (40 hours/week) based in our Columbus, OH office that includes benefits; salary is commensurate with experience. There may be some travel in Ohio. It takes approximately one year to master this position, so please apply only if you are prepared to make a multi-year commitment.
- Review client applications and files to verify compliance with the National Organic Program standards
- Conduct on-site inspections of farms
- Provide excellent customer service and assistance to certification clients
- Handle correspondence, fax, phone, and email communications in a consistently professional manner
- Work on special projects as assigned by the Certification Program Manager
- Stay current with changes in National Organic Program standards
- Help develop and implement OEFFA Certification policies and procedures
- Experience in the field: with crop or livestock production and/or food processing
- Knowledge: related to organic certification, in a certification program, as a producer, handler, or inspector
- Self-directed: takes initiative to get work done and able to be self-sufficient
- Workflow management: outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail
- Good thinker: strong analytical and critical thinking
- Communications: exceptional skill in oral and written communications
- Collaborative: effective at working with others to reach common goals and objectives
- Relationship-building: skilled at establishing and cultivating strong relationships with co-workers, clients, and external stakeholders
- Prioritization: ability to prioritize, plan, and complete work on deadline
- Technology: excellent computer skills, including Excel and Word
- Standards: commitment to performing work with a high standard for consistency, accountability, and excellence
- Education: Bachelor degree or higher in a relevant field preferred
To Apply: Applications consist of three items: a cover letter, résumé, and names of three professional references (indicate relationship to you). Please combine all of these in a single .pdf. In your cover letter please address how your experience and background meet the requirements of the position and include salary history and expectations. All application materials should be submitted via email to email@example.com and addressed to Andy Hupp, Certification Program Manager. Applications received by April 28, 2017 will be assured full consideration.
About OEFFA Certification OEFFA was formed in 1979 and is a tight-knit, membership-based grassroots organization, dedicated to promoting and supporting sustainable, ecological, and healthful food systems. OEFFA Certification has been in operation since 1981, providing organic certification services to farmers and food processors throughout the Midwest. Our clients include grain growers, dairy farmers, mixed vegetable growers, coffee roasters, meat processors, and everything in between.