Title: Legislative Representative, Lands
Reports To: Deputy Legislative Director
Positions Reporting To This Position: None
The League of Conservation Voters (LCV) works to turn environmental values into national, state and local priorities. LCV, in collaboration with our state LCV partners, advocates for sound environmental laws and policies, holds elected officials accountable for their votes and actions, and elects pro-environment candidates who will champion our priority issues.
LCV’s work to protect and advocate for the environment is rooted in our commitment to racial, social and environmental justice. Engaging communities of color among other key constituencies for the environment is an organizational priority. Within the organization, we aim to create a workplace culture and policies and practices that demonstrate how we value equity and inclusion.
LCV is seeking a go-getter to assist our advocacy work on public lands and other natural resource issues. We are seeking a dynamic addition to our team to help fend off the anticipated attacks in Congress and the executive branch on core environmental protections and recent historic progress protecting places of ecological, cultural, and historical importance as well as other environmental priorities.
- Plays a leading role in LCV’s work on a number of policy areas, including public lands, oceans, and endangered species.
- Lobbies Congress and government agencies directly.
- Helps develop partnerships and coalitions that reflect a rich mix of stakeholders, including communities of color and lower-income communities.
- Assists in production of LCV’s National Environmental Scorecard.
- Researches, tracks, and analyzes the flow of environmental legislation and administrative policies.
- Incorporates a justice lens while engaging in policy discussions, researching information, and in preparing advocacy materials.
- Ensures the accuracy of public education materials.
- Works with LCV’s Communications, Campaigns, Membership and Online Engagement, and Civic and
- Community Engagement departments to advance policy priorities.
- Partners with state leagues on various projects and provides frequent updates on federal legislation.
- Other duties as assigned.
Work experience: Ideally has at least 2 years’ experience working in legislative affairs. Background working on Capitol Hill, in the executive branch, or at an advocacy or political organization is preferred. Prior experience utilizing Facebook, Twitter, and other social media to spread the message of an organization or a cause is preferred.
Skills: Strong research and writing skills; ability to work well in a fast-paced setting and meet deadlines without sacrificing work quality; strong interpersonal and communications skills with an ability to develop relationships with individuals representing a rich mix of race, gender, talent, experience, and background; dedication to organization’s mission with a commitment to being a trusted team player.
Cultural Competence: Shares our commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do, and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture.
Conditions: Ability to occasionally work beyond stated office hours to get the job done; ability and willingness to travel frequently between LCV offices, Capitol Hill, executive branch agencies, and coalition partners’ offices in Washington, D.C., where the position is based.
Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Legislative Representative, Lands” in the subject line by February 15, 2017. No phone calls please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to a Diverse, Inclusive, and Equitable Workplace