The Ohio Environmental Council seeks a full-time Director of Water Equity to take our water access and affordability work to the next level. The Director of Water Equity will serve as the organization’s expert on laws, regulations, needs, and barriers to provide safe, affordable drinking water to all Ohioans. The Director will advocate for the passage and implementation of strong policies through partnerships, campaign coordination, media work, and lobbying.
The ideal candidate is a collaborative leader and a strategic thinker who can grasp onto broad, ambitious goals and motivate a team on the ground to deliver on them. The Director will work to foster relationships with community leaders, utility leaders, decision-makers, businesses, and the water advocacy community. They will be creative about seizing new opportunities for growth that align with the organization’s larger strategic plan and they will be a persistent, reliable teammate.
This position is an opportunity to advance policy solutions toward equitable investment in water infrastructure and access to safe, clean water for all.
Reporting to the Managing Director of Water Policy and Chief of Organizational Planning, the Director will:
- Demonstrate thought leadership in the national movement for affordable and clean water by developing cutting-edge, well-researched, and pragmatic solutions to improve water justice and equity in Ohio.
- Lead in identifying solutions to water access and affordability issues and advancing equitable investment in water infrastructure through writing, speaking, facilitating discussion, and forging partnerships.
- Research issues, write policy initiatives, and provide expert opinions related to water affordability and water infrastructure.
- Provide policy analysis to support the Managing Director of Water Policy and the Chief of Staff in educating local, state and federal elected officials.
- Develop, execute, and coordinate initiatives, strategies, and tactics to advance the water policies outlined in the OEC’s strategic plan.
- Work with legal, advocacy, campaigns, and communications staff along with partners, media, and activists on a range of effective tactics.
- Work with the OEC Action Fund to advance water affordability legislation and promote water champions at the local, state, and federal levels.
- Raise the profile of the organization in the water equity space, including communicating with funders, building new partnerships, and participating in forums and conferences on water justice and equity.
- Fulfill organizational responsibilities including: attending board meetings; managing foundation relationships; and ensuring grant deliverables are met.
- Shares our commitment to increasing racial diversity in the environmental movement and for our organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and contributing to an inclusive organizational culture.
- Experience in advocacy, community organizing, local leadership, or government affairs.
- Knowledge or expertise in the areas of water equity, water security/water access, and water affordability. A demonstrated commitment to environmental justice.
- A track record of success designing and delivering results on water policy, environmental justice policy or environmental-adjacent programs and plans.
- Excellent communication and public speaking skills with ability to communicate with diverse individuals across the political spectrum.
- Experience with developing relationships and building strong networks moving toward the same goal.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment.
Compensation & Location
The salary range for this position is $56,726-62,398. Salary depends on experience and is competitive. Excellent benefits include health, vision, dental, and life insurance, flexible and dependent care spending accounts, generous paid time off, and employer-matched retirement fund.
The OEC’s headquarters is in Columbus, with a satellite office in Cleveland. The location of the Director of Water Equity is flexible within the State of Ohio, with a preference for one of these cities.
For more information about the position and how to apply click here.