DEFEND OUR FUTURE – OHIO ORGANIZER
Curbing climate change and shifting to a clean energy economy are the defining challenges of our time. However, professional climate deniers and environmental detractors in the Trump Administration have set out to significantly alter environmental and energy policies. With dirty energy industries gaining influence —and no recognition of the overwhelming scientific evidence telling us that we need to take action on climate change – it is more important than ever that young people stand up and make their voices heard on this issue.
That’s why Defend Our Future is mobilizing to fight against this threat to our health and planet. By challenging college students to take action and push back against climate deniers we will show elected leaders, regardless of party, that we will not stand idly by and watch so much of what we care about systematically dismantled.
The Organizer will play a lead role doing just that. They will work to develop a student-led volunteer program that motivates young people to become the leading voices in the climate movement. By engaging a wide and diverse range of college students and faculty the Organizer will expand the presence of the organization through quality face-to-face conversations, classroom visits, group engagement, and build a movement prepared to take consistent and effective action. In addition, the Organizer will help with planning and holding educational events about the climate threat, what is at risk and how we can maintain our progress in the fight against climate change.
Defend Our Future is a project of the Environmental Defense Fund (EDF). EDF is one of the world’s largest non-profit environmental organizations whose mission to find solutions that benefit people and the environment is guided by science and economics.
The OH Organizer position will be based in Columbus, OH. Organizers may be required to travel between multiple campuses. This is a long-term position beginning early January, 2018 and going through May, 2018, with a good possibility of extension.
- Recruit and build volunteer networks with one-on-one meetings, conversations with campus groups and presentations to classes;
- Develop and manage volunteer leaders and volunteer teams;
- Engage past supporters over the phone and in person, and move them to action;
- Plan and execute campus events promoting action on climate
- Educate potential supporters about what is at risk and what they can do to protect our progress on climate change;
- Build community wide coalitions of student organizations, local small businesses and other local institutions to collaborate on group actions;
- Build for and help execute earned media events on and off campuses;
- Engage students on a daily basis to collect commitments to protect our progress and fight climate change.
The Organizer will report to the DOF OH Director.
- One full cycle of electoral or issue organizing experience is required;
- Demonstrable experience executing organizing or other engagement plans;
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills;
- Prior experience organizing and managing volunteers is strongly preferred;
- Experience building and managing teams or volunteers is strongly preferred;
- Outgoing personality and enthusiasm in engaging students and working with volunteers;
- Moderate familiarity using NGPVAN is preferred;
- Experience using Microsoft Office software;
- Must have valid driver’s license and daily access to a car;
- Must have access to a working laptop computer that is WiFi enabled;
- Familiarity with social networking tools;
- Ability to work on your own and in a team-oriented environment;
- Willingness to work irregular weekday, evening and weekend hours; and
- Familiarity with climate change issues is preferred.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $3,250.00 /month